Not all plastics are the same
Did you know that not all plastics are recyclable? To reduce the amount of plastic waste, here are a few ideas.
- Choose products in glass or tin vs plastic wherever you can.
- If you have a dog, you can reuse plastic bread bags as ‘doggy do’ bags (so at least they have more than a single use lifespan).
- Store, reheat or freeze your leftovers in glass containers instead of in plastic containers or plastic wrap.
- Use a reusable glass or stainless-steel water bottle.
- BYO coffee cup rather than a disposable takeaway. Ditto with taking your own container for your sushi lunch fix.
- Say no to the receipt at the register. These receipts are actually plastic coated (and can leach nasty chemicals too). Many stores now offer to email you a receipt.
- Make your own cleaners, shampoos and lotions. They are surprisingly easy to make and store in glass jars and bottles. You can even reuse an old spray bottle rather than buying glass.
- Choose wood, cloth, steel, and secondhand toys for kids.
- Use your consumer power - contact the companies you are buying from and let them know your concerns about their packaging. Ask what they are doing to reduce waste or provide alternatives to non-recyclable plastics. The more we do this, the more likely they are to change.